Cleaning for Spring Patio Season
California has suffered torrential amounts of rain this winter, after years of drought. Because of this, your spring may be suffering! Large amounts of water left your drought stricken soil washed out. This has caused sunken areas, flooding, and left a gritty layer on top of your surface. Soon, temperatures will warm up, and you will be eager to get outside and clean up the mess winter left behind. Here is a how-to guide to getting your ready for spring!
Clean Your Spring Patio
Just as we spring clean the house, it is important to thoroughly clean your surface to keep it in pristine condition for years to come!
- Clear your of all furniture, pots, grills, and heaters
- Sweep away any branches, leaves, and dirt
- Spray your down with your garden hose
- Mix white vinegar and water in a bucket using a 1:15 ratio and scrub with a long-handled scrub brush. Let penetrate for 5 minutes
- When you’ve gone over the , wash everything off using your hose. If you see areas that are still soiled, repeat the soap scrub.
Clean Your Patio Furniture Cushions
Cleaning your outdoor furniture cushions can save you money and prevent having to replace them every year. Although your cushions may be waterproof they still need to be cleaned annually if not semi-annually to last years.
What you will need:
- a bucket
- warm water
- dish detergent
- scrub brush
- baking soda
- Remove your cushions and place them on a flat surface
- Wipe down the cushions with a damp towel to remove surface dirt
- Prepare a solution of warm water and 1 tsp. dish detergent. Dip your scrub brush in the solution and scrub the front and the back of your cushion in a circular motion.
- Rinse your cushions. For stains that were not removed by general cleaning, mix a paste of 1 part water and 2 parts baking soda. Work this into the stain in a circular motion with your scrub brush or a toothbrush. Rinse and allow the cushions to air dry.
- Clean the cushions before putting them out for the summer and before storing them for the winter. Touch-ups should be done to remove stains as they occur. Simply make a smaller solution of soap and water, use a sponge to scrub, and rinse.
Click here for a how to on removing mildew and mold from your cushions.
While you have your cushions drying, you can wipe down or hose down your spring furniture depending on their material.
After your surface is clean and dry and your cushions and furniture are good as new you can re-assemble your furniture, grill, heaters, and planters. This would be a great time to change the layout of your to better suit entertaining and utilizing the space you have!